MOVE Charity has a simple mission: to support and inspire more and more people to Move Against Cancer. The charity now has 86 5K Your Way groups across the UK and Ireland and a programme of events and resources aimed at showcasing the benefits of exercise andmovement, both physically and mentally, when living with and beyond cancer.
We caught up with the team to find out what they’ve been up to and what’s coming up…
Upcoming at MOVE Charity
- 5K Your Way Monthly Meetup: Find your local group HERE.
Next meet up: 28th January.
- Cancer Related Fatigue Series with Helen and Sophie. Sign up HERE.
12th Jan 23 @6:30-7:30pm – Cardio
19th Jan 23 @6:30-7:30pm – Strength
26th Jan 23 @6:30-7:30pm – Stretch
- Late Effects workshop with Emma Hallam coming in February. Keep an eye on our socials!
Recent resources from MOVE Charity:
· Exercising with Chemotherapy workshop with Tom Cowan and Rebecca Robinson. Watch HERE.
· Lymphoedema – Myths, Evidence and Taking Control with Dr. Melanie Thomas and Dr. Karen Morgan. Watch HERE.
· MOVE Against Cancer podcast: Listen HERE. Find us using the links below or search ‘Move Against Cancer Podcast’ wherever you normally listen to your podcasts.
Most Recent Episodes:
– Talking bucket Lists with Laura and Nicola Nutall.
– Talking a Neurosurgeon becoming a patient with Mr Henry Marsh.
– Talking coxing, compromising, communicating and challenges with Erin Kennedy MBE.
· A November 2022 Yoga Series with the amazing Vicky Fox:
– Yoga for Immunity; boosting the lymphatic system.
– Yoga for Bone Strength.
– Easing joint pain with yoga.
MOVE’s Key Areas of Work
· MOVE Online 8 week virtual support Programme: This programme is for anyone aged 13-30 diagnosed with cancer and is designed and delivered by MOVE Level 4 Cancer Rehab Specialists.
· 5k Your Way, Move Against Cancer Groups: 5K Your Way, Move Against Cancer is a community-based initiative to encourage those living with and beyond cancer, their families and friends, and those working in cancer services to walk, jog, run, cheer or volunteer at a local 5K Your Way group at designated parkrun events on the last Saturday of every month.
· Move Your Way Resources: These include: Educational Articles and Blogs, Move Your Way sessions, MOVE Against Cancer YouTube Channel, Workshops, useful links.
· Move Against Cancer podcast: This podcast aspires to support and inspire people to move, exercise and live an active and fulfilling life despite a cancer diagnosis. We share the stories of ordinary people doing extraordinary things.
MOVE Team Getting Out and About
· MOVE Team’s Sophie Mulligan attended the London CAR-T and Christmas Market event at Clatterbridge Cancer Centre – “It was an honour to have been asked to speak at the TYA day in London in November. I told a room full of healthcare professionals (some of which have treated me over the years!) about my journey as a CAR T patient and about my work with MOVE. At the Clatterbridge Cancer Centre in Liverpool, I met patients and their families and had the opportunity to tell them all about MOVE Charity.”
· MOVE Team’s Cancer Rehab Instructor, Sophie Gasson spoke at the Shine conference in November.
· Tony Collier, our 5K Your Way Regional Champion, has finished his year of fundraising for MOVE and has raised an amazing £20,000! He ran 5k every day and showed what is possible with a cancer diagnosis.
· Lucy Gossage and Lizzie Paddock, our 5k Your Way Nottingham Ambassadors, appeared on The One Show. They were nominated by participants at the 5k Your Way Nottingham group for their incredible work supporting and inspiring people to Move Against Cancer. Watch the episode HERE.